Email marketing is, as the name suggests, the use of email in marketing communications. Marketing via email is a form of direct marketing which uses electronic mail as a means of communicating commercial or fundraising messages to an audience. It is also referred to by similar terms known as: bulk emailing, mass emailing, email advertising, email promotions, email ad campaigns, emailing service, email ad promotions, web emailing, e-mailing, e-mail marketing, opt-in emailing, opt-in emailing, email list management, email web advertising, direct email marketing, email marketing solution, bulk email marketing software, email marketing campaign, email promotion internet marketing, email management, email data management.
Email marketing is one of the most successful methods of marketing ever developed. By far it is one of the most effective and inexpensive methods of advertising available to you. If you have an email marketing strategy and if that strategy works then mail marketing is very affordable and effective. Because email is much cheaper than most other forms of communication it ranks high in popularity Email1and1 . This form of marketing lets you deliver your message to your potential market (unlike a website, where the people have to come to your message).
Email marketing has proven very successful for those who do it right. Often it is reported as second only to search marketing as the most effective online marketing tactic. Emailing is routinely used as a way to advertise a product, company, or an opportunity. The underlying concept with sending emails to your market is all about relationship building. Email marketing is about developing a relationship with your recipients and building of trust. But be aware, if they feel you are misusing or abusing that relationship they will not hesitate to report you as a spammer.
Apart from cost of email marketing software and Internet connection there is not any other substantial cost that a marketer has to bear to execute a successful email marketing campaign. With the help of
email marketing software, even individuals doing business from home are improving their marketing communications and adding new business. Using email marketing software is a very inexpensive
and effective way to create email marketing campaigns that are professional quality. Utilizing email software is a great way to contact your site visitors again and again with information about your products and services. Customization with the help of email software enables you to address your consumer by their first name in the subject line. Many email marketing software applications allow you to pre-schedule the mail delivery date and time and send it automatically, so that you don’t miss out. Many bulk email marketing software services track the number of users that have responded by opening your mail or replying to your email. Keep in mind though, before using email software or doing any bulk email marketing, make sure you comply with all spam regulations and the rules of your own web host.
Make sure you use reliable and well-recognized email management software. One of the most powerful and highly recommended sources for web based emailing software that will help you automate your
email marketing efforts is the Constant Contact email management system. It may sound daunting at first for those who do not use computers too much, but let me tell you from experience, it takes only a few hours to learn how to use the software and only a few minutes to create new emails to send out in bulk.
1. Ask a question. One of the best ways to get a reader’s attention is to ask a question. But like a trial lawyer questioning a witness on the stand, make sure it’ll get you the response you’re looking for. “What’s the best way to grow your business?” is a great subject line for business owners. After all, what business owner wouldn’t want to grow his or her business? Or let’s say you run a health club. An e-mail with the subject line, “How can you lose 5 pounds in one month?” would certainly be compelling. It’s important your question be relevant to your audience.
2. Be a tease. A clever subject line can be enticing. When it’s done right, reader curiosity is piqued. They want to know more–and they’ll open your e-mail. Writing a teaser-style subject line requires some creativity, and your content needs to deliver. A company that sells high-definition TVs could use the subject line, “You’re not going to believe your eyes” as a teaser to introduce a new addition to their product line.
3. Tell it like it is. Often, what works best is to say exactly what you want your reader to know. Examples of this straightforward approach are, “Sale on all sweaters this weekend,” “Master jazz pianist plays live this Friday” and “The seven secrets of a profitable business.” This just-the-facts approach works especially well when you can appeal directly to your audience’s interests. It’s also the best approach to use when you send a newsletter.
4. Remember “WIIFM”. When a person gets your e-mail, the first thing they consider is “what’s in it for me?” They have a decision to make. Do they open your e-mail, leave it for later or delete it? If there isn’t something about the subject line that lets them know why it’s worth their precious time to see what’s inside, then the choice will be clear. Keep WIIFM in mind when creating every aspect of your e-mails, including the offer, content, images–and most definitely the subject line. It’s all about them. They know that; just make sure you know it, too.
5. Get personal. The more you can make each contact feel you’re speaking directly to them, the more effective your communication will be. Whatever style of subject line you use, you can make it personal by using the word “you.” Professional copywriters know the secret of using this powerful little word. Just look at the advertisements, mail and e-mail you receive. A few examples are, “Find the right swimsuit for you,” “You can save 50 percent on travel,” and “You’d look phenomenal in a custom-tailored suit.” “You” is ideal, but “your” works too.
6. Not sure which approach is right for you? Try them all, and then show a friend or colleague to get their feedback. Pick the one you believe will be most effective for your audience. Whichever approach you choose, it’s always worth spending the time and effort to write a great subject line. Because if your readers don’t open your e-mail, they’ll never have the chance to read the important message you’ve created for them inside.